Today is a first for me; I'm introducing a friend to the joys of brewing. Clint H., welcome to the fold!
 - Turns out, there's just not much sediment to leave behind at this stage. It's not worth siphoning.
- Boil 4 gallons of water, and set aside to cool over night.
- Steep 1/2 lb. crystal 60L malt, 1/2 lb. chocolate malt, and 1/4 lb. black malt in 3 gallons of water at 160º ±10º for 30 minutes.
- Add 3.3 lb. of pale LME, and stir till dissolved.
- Bring to boil until break (approx. 20 minutes).
- 0.5 oz. Magnum hops T-60 minutes.
- 0.8 oz. Willamette hops T-40 minutes.
- 0.5 oz. Willamette hops T-20 minutes.
- Add half a tab of Whirlfloc T-10 min.
- Add 6.6 lb. of pale LME at knockout, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Chill wort with ice bath and frozen water in soda bottles to below 70º.
- Siphon wort to to pail, leaving behind as much sediment as possible, and add cooled boiled water to just over 5 gallon-mark (or approx. 3 inches from top of pail).
- Measure original gravity.
- Pitch White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001).
- Aerate the wort by pouring back and forth between sanitized pails.
- Siphon into 6.5 gallon carboy primary fermenter, and affix airlock.
- Ferment in swamp cooler at 70º ±2º.
|Our friends, Becky and Clint, and my wife. #NoFilter|
|Becky and Clint's daughter (above) with our daughter (below).|
|My daughter and I at the brew supply shop.|